We aim to provide engagement opportunities for all Minneapolis communities – especially those who have been historically excluded, under-represented or under-resourced – so all can participate in public planning and decision-making to achieve equitable consensus on this project.
Friends of the Falls has also partnered with the Native American Community Development Institute to train our staff and board members on issues sensitive to the Native American community and create meaningful engagement with First Nations people.
Engage With Us
Friends of the Falls welcomes its new partnership with NACDI, and with it, the opportunity to build authentic, long-term relationships with First Nations people.
We discuss people’s connection to the site, the factors that have shaped this place and shared values to guide the project.
Through community meetings, digital engagement and design charettes, we initiate a community conversation about priorities and program opportunities.
Thoughtful and inclusive engagement is especially difficult today, as we must limit group gatherings and respect social distancing protocols. For the time being, we have moved most of our engagement opportunities online. Engage with us through a series of webinars, round table discussions, presentations to neighborhood associations and digital surveys. We look forward to a time when we can gather together again and envision the future of the Upper Lock.
In its launch years, Friends of the Falls convened a coalition of stakeholders from over two dozen local organizations. These entities came to acknowledge not only the site’s ecological significance and industrial history, but also its cultural heritage as home of the Dakota people. Friends of the Falls recognized the need to broaden project engagement and put this missing narrative at the forefront.
This growing community of non-profits, neighborhood associations and civic institutions support transforming the Falls and restoring public access to the riverfront.
- Central Riverfront Regional Park Master Plan Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
- Downtown Public Realm Framework Plan City of Minneapolis
- Destination Transformation 2030 Plan Meet Minneapolis
- Changing Relationship to Power of the Falls: West Bank Minnesota Historical Society
- Intersections: Downtown 2025 Plan mpls downtown council
- RiverFirst Initiative Minneapolis Park Foundation
- Transforming the Lock Ideas Book National Parks Conservation Association
Other Riverfront Initiatives
- Water Works Minneapolis Park Foundation / Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
- Hall’s Island Minneapolis Parks Foundation / Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
- Upper Harbor Terminal City of Minneapolis / Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
- Grain Belt Riverfront Redevelopment Area City of Minneapolis
- Great Northern Greenway River Link Minneapolis Parks Foundation / Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
- Visitor Center on the Lock National Park Service
- Mississippi River Day Canoe Trip Wilderness Inquiry
- Mississippi River Paddle Share
- Minneapolis Water Taxi
- Mississippi Park Connection